October 1, 2013

He IS there...

I went to the General Relief Society Broadcast 
on Saturday and absolutely LOVED it! 
So many of my prayers have already been answered, 
and I cannot wait for General Conference to come this weekend. 
 There were several quotes that I LOVED, 
but at the end, this one stuck to me the most:


It made me think of a post I wrote
clear back in April 2009.
I want to copy and paste most
of it here, so I can have it in
multiple places.

You can find the original post
Here.

. . .


April 28, 2009
He was there all along

Two weeks ago a sister in our ward gave a talk in Sacrament meeting.
She talked about how she struggled with infertility for a long time,
and how she struggled with knowing what to do.
She finally came to the conclusion that she would continue her education in Nursing and then "wait" until she could start a family of her own. Right after she graduated from College, the only job available was in the Hospital working in the Nursery. She would have to work with brand new babies and their mothers.

...She hesitated at first to take the job, but decided to accept it only because there was nothing else available at the time. One night she admitted to her husband that was mad at God. Why did she have to be around all these new born babies? Especially when the moms were addicted to drugs and alcohol, they didn't want them, or they already had several children and complained about it.

She questioned why {she} couldn't have one???

That night her husband gave her a blessing that instructed her to look for the positive in her situation. Over time she realized it was a blessing to hold the brand new-pure and innocent children sent straight from our Heavenly Father. Gradually her heart began to soften and she was able to carry out this job with a better attitude and gratitude towards God.

A little while later, this sister WAS blessed with a baby of her own-and she was so humbled and felt blessed for this wonderful opportunity to be a mother.

I've been thinking about this story a lot, and yesterday I had a "ah-ha" moment. While I was taking the kids for a walk, it dawned on me that I too had been blessed the same way {without realizing it}.

When we first moved to Utah, neither John or I had a job. My dad helped us find an apartment right above UVSC (UVU) so John could walk to school. It was a really nice basement apartment and we loved Dave and Nina Haden who owned the home. The rent was a little over our range, but it felt right. Just a few days after we moved-the Relief Society presidency came over to visit. After a few minutes of talking, on of the ladies (Ann Whittaker) asked what  I was interested in and what I liked to do. I told her that I had experience teaching preschool and I loved being around children. It "just so happened" that she was the owner of Kids Village in Orem, and they were looking for a teaching for 3-4 year olds. She asked if I could go in the next day to hand in my resume and get an interview. Within a week, everything fell into place! I received the teaching job, and I instantly fell in love with all of the children! Over time, it felt as if they were not only my students but like my own children.I learned so much from them and I loved them so much.

They were so loving and kind.
Happy and helpful.
They were happy to see me.
Their faces lit up when they saw me.
They said the funniest things that made me laugh all day.
They called me Miss Winsey.
They drew pictures for me.
They told me they loved me.
They made cards and bracelets and the cutest hand-made gifts that I still have and cherish today.
They brought me apples and flowers, and more hugs that I could ever dream of.
They were so humble. Forgiving. Non-judgmental. Kind. Happy. ...Everything I wanted to be, and more.
They served, helped, and encouraged each other along the way.
If any of them accidentally spilled the crayons or books-they immediately helped without hesitation.
I felt so honored and blessed to be a part of their lives. I learned so much from them.

I realize NOW that Heavenly Father was blessing me with children.
Hundreds and hundreds of children.
I realize now he was blessing and guiding my path.
That He was showing His love through children, parents, and teachers who sincerely cared for me and for their children. And that I was learning valuable lessons that I could NOT have learned any other way.
And that even though I didn't have children of my own, he was preparing me to become a better mother for my future children.

I wish I would have realized all of this then, but a part of me knows that it's apart of learning and growing to become like Heavenly Father. And to trust in Him, and His timing.

So today was a good day!
It hit me that this is what God was trying to tell me all along.
He IS there.
He cares.
He wants me to be happy.
He wants me to realize he sends help along the way.
That he surrounds me with people with certain personalities, talents and experiences that will help my life tremendously.
To see the good in all things.
To be positive.
To recognized blessings he continues to give me.
And to recognize that people in my life are there for a reason.

I'm a little sad that I didn't recognize this until now.
And though I may not always recognize, acknowledge {and even struggle}
...because I'm not perfect.
HE IS THERE.
Every step of the way!!!














 










1 comment:

  1. I finally got to sit down and read your blog! I just love you! You are so generous with your love and caring to others and I am grateful you shared this story. It really touched me:)

    ReplyDelete