September 26, 2013

Hypothyroidism

This year I was diagnosed with Hypothyroidism.

Looking back at the past couple of years, 
I can now see 
that I had several symptoms 
that were pointing to this condition.
However, I thought it had to do 
with my pregnancies 
and my first break down in 2008.
{That I never fully recovered from.}

...And to be honest,
I was not familiar about  
the thyroid and how much it
effects the body!

At the beginning of this year,
I was extremely tired all of the time!
I got 8+ hours of sleep,
but in the morning I still felt exhausted.
I could hardly wait for nap time,
so that I could take my nap.
However, no matter how much I
slept, I still needed more
to function throughout the day.

Within three months I gained
forty pounds.
{I still can't believe it!}
My body was swollen!
The worst was part
was my stomach and face.
I felt very heavy with child
and looked like it too.

I was very frustrated,
because I was trying to jog again
and my feet hurt really bad on the
bottom of my feet and my Achilles.
It especially hurt every morning
when I woke up and got out of bed.
It killed to walk for the first five minutes.
My voice became hoarse,
and my brain/head felt foggy.
I was very forgetful!
And a MESS.

In March I finally decided
to talk to my doctor about it.
I asked him if we could get a test
on my Thyroid.
He agreed.
It came back that I {indeed} had
hypothyroidism, and that I will
always have to be on medication for it.

After a month or two
of no improvements
I started asking around for a doctor who
specialized in my condition.
Amazingly,
two of my friends suggested
the same doctor in Spanish Fork.
It took me a few months to get into him,
but I am {so}grateful I was led to this man.
He is very knowledgeable and compassionate.
We did a lot of paper work and blood work,
and switched up my medication from the results.

Needless to say,
I am physically feeling so much better!
I am getting really good rest,
I feel rested in the morning,
I am thinking clearly,
and my feet don't hurt anymore,

I have lost a little weight,
but not a lot. :(
I am working out every day,
but my body isn't changing
{as quickly} as
 I want it to.
And to be honest,
I'm not sure it will
ever be the same.
...I know
that my self worth
should not
be based on my appearance,
but for my whole life I
have always struggled
with that.

At this point, I'm not sure how to
strengthen that side of me-
but I trust in Heavenly Father
and I know that He wants me
to be strong!
I know He gives me challenges
to make me stronger.
And ya know,
it's probably the right time
to start facing this issue
and learning how to deal with it.

I know there are many things I can do,
{and that I need to do}.
I just need to put it into action.

. . .

"Trust in the Lord with all thine heart,
and lean not unto thine own understanding.
In all thy ways, acknowledge Him
and He shall direct thy paths."
Proverbs 3: 5-6

love, lindsey

No comments:

Post a Comment